Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Evening, January 14, 2009


The new $189 million road project involves filling in the bay from just off the existing road. There will be six lanes in each direction. Balboa avenue is always packed. The statue one the left was on a point extending into the bay. It will be moved.

The odd shaped pieces are made in a plant on the construction site (see below) and dumped on the water edge of the landfill, down to the earth, for stability. The odd shapes stick together.


This is the view of the plant that makes the pieces above. They also mix the concrete, using the large bags of material in front of the plant.

To see a video of the project go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7z6cK_q5b8

The video is less than three minutes long and gives some idea of the size of Panama City. We get a real kick out of how orderly and courteous the driving is. To survive driving in Panama or PC one has to be very aggressive.

Rob and Donna sent us the video.



The photos above were taken from the balcony of our new Christmas day arrival friends Rob and Donna.

We had a very nice lunch at their apartment yesterday, followed by a shopping trip to Riba Smith's Supermercado, where one can find all the items one cannot find even at the better grocery stores. We were looking for molasses and some gluten free items and were successful.

We had gone into PC for a dental appointment for me. I had my teeth cleaned. Getting there was an adventure, as driving in PC often can be. A demonstration relating to Social Security benefits had caused our main street to be closed. We had forgotten our map, so we were guessing which one way street to take when.

While I was in the dental office, the senior dentist, Dr. Eisenmann volunteered some help regarding my search for a water polo team. What he found for me was the coach of the national Panama team. We drove out to the pool. I volunteered my help. I don't know what level the players are, so they may be far beyond my skills. They have won the South American Championship. We will see. I will do what I can as time permits. It is quite a drive from Gorgona to the pool which is near the airport. I would also hope to participate in some scrimmages.

Today we slept in late, 9:00, exhausted by the driving yesterday in PC. We had our swim, or course, and had a breakfast of Salmon, purchased yesterday at Riba Smiths'. We spent the day, and then went to dinner at Chollos, a Mexican restaurant near San Carlos, where we had some fine dinners with our family over the holidays.






No comments: